Posted by: Girija Gadre on Jan 09, 2017, 05.39 PM IST
1. RuPay is a domestic plastic card launched by National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) with the intention of integration of payment systems in the country.
2. All major public sector banks, including SBI, are issuing RuPay Debit Cards to all customers including those who have accounts opened under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna.
3. RuPay cards are similar to any other cards and facilitates electronic payment at all Indian banks, ATMs, POS terminals and many e-commerce websites.
4. The card also comes with a high-end technology chip named EMV (Europay, Master Card and Visa) especially for high-end transactions and has an embedded micro processor circuit with information about the cardholder.
5. RuPay cards have a lower transaction cost and faster processing cost since processing is done within the country.