Posted by: Labdhi Mehta on Jun 18, 2018, 06.30 AM IST
1. Since 1 April, 2018, long-term capital gains (LTCG) made on redemption of equity mutual funds have been subject to 10% tax.
2. The tax is applicable on LTCG made by the investor over and above Rs 1 lakh a year.
3. However, the LTCG made till 31 January, 2018, have been grandfathered, so the gains will remain tax-exempt.
4. In case of units purchased before 1 February, 2018, cost of acquisition will be considered as the higher of the actual cost of acquisition, or the NAV as on 31 January 2018.
5. If the sale consideration (NAV for redemption) is lower than the NAV on 31 January 2018, the sale consideration will be considered instead of NAV.
(The content on this page is courtesy Centre for Investment Education and Learning (CIEL). Contributions by Girija Gadre, Arti Bhargava and Labdhi Mehta.)
This article appeared in Economic Times dated Jun 18, 2018, 06.30 AM IST
People in India are increasingly knowledgeable about the investment options available to them. Mutual Funds
Become a mutual fund investment advisor. This course will teach you the basics of mutual fund investment th
This NISM modules preparation training is designed to help students who want to take the NISM examinations
Acquire the ability to provide complete financial solutions to investors using mutual funds through underst
Learn to evaluate a portfolio thoroughly through our advanced level course on portfolio evaluation!
Learn about the different types of equity funds and their positioning through ourintermediate level course.
Learn about the types of debt funds and their positioning through our intermediate level online course.
Learn how to choose and understand mutual funds products with our online course on mutual fund positioning.
Learn to market debt funds and how to calculate their risks and returns through our advance level course.
Learn to choose the right category mutual funds based on your clients' risk profile and financial needs.
Learn how to invest in liquid funds for treasury management through our advanced online course. Enrol now!<